Monday, May 24, 2004

I met my first gay japanese guy last night. He visited my class and is thinking about signing up. The "flamer" persona is a little bit strange when compared with the standard american male, discernable when compared with a stereotypical european guy and when it comes to the standard japanese guy it sticks out like a sore thumb. The japanese are famously stoic and this fellow was actually expressing emotions! What's more, when I suggested that he visit a class on Friday he responded, "Really, on Friday evening, you must be kidding." Not in all my time here has anyone objected to a Friday night class. It's just that they don't seem to do anything special on Fridays, no relaxing or whatever, it's just another work day on saturday for many. That was the clincher, gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment