Friday, November 06, 2015

Historical information.

Yesterday I got a text from my friend and former colleague Mardi who, in an effort to age gracefully, started with a new personal trainer.  The catch was that the new trainer was pushing her to do things that her body didn't like, such as moving side to side, rather than front to back.  Lateral motions generated enough winces and ouches that he told her to stop and go see a doctor, something was not right with how her left hip was working.  On the minus side, Mardi was headed to Rothman for some x-rays and consultation, on the plus side, I COULD BE THE BEST FRIEND EVER SINCE I'D ALREADY HAD MY HIP RE-JIGGERED AT ROTHMAN!

We talked for a good 30 minutes about all the various procedures and doctors and pains and aches and really connected on the sort of stuff that connects people who are getting older, slower, and also have no kids.  I was able to forward on my blog posts from 2013 when I'd undergone my various surgical and therapeutic procedures.  It made me realise, or in fact, re-realize how this blog has become a lot more like a diary than the communication tool that it started as.  I began it when we were in Japan, 12 years ago, as a way to keep my friends and family in the loop with how we were doing half a world away.  Supposing that my blog isn't magically wiped out in the next economic catastrophe or during the GoogleBook merger of 2018, I would like to keep it as a log of my adventures and deeds.

But because I'm 'busy' and 'committed' and 'a hard worker' I rarely take the time to write anything here anymore.  It is in this vein that I'm going to (and seriously for real guys/friends/family/future Aaron) post some things that I should have gotten around to long ago.  There is a set of posts from Iceland over this past summer, more and better posts from our trip to Germany, some ruminations from our continual projects around the house, a set of great shots of sunsets from across the Great Plains and some ruminations from my time spent as a crew-member on RAAM for Meurig in 2013.  I'm going to try to put them in the general order of when the events happened for the better finding later.  First day of the next part of my life, where I remember and write about the last part of my life, starts now.

No comments:

Post a Comment