Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Well, it's good to be back. Mostly, it's good to be done travelling as we were in some form of transportation for the past 27 hours (that includes airport time though). In the plane back I started and finished "Timequake" by Kurt Vonnegut and watched three shitty movies, "Little Black Book", "Catwoman" and "Shark Tale" with the last of those three being the most enjoyable by far.
I had a really good visit home. It was almost too easy to be back. It is one thing to live in another place for a year and a half, but really, there's almost no experience that can erase all of my formative years at home in the good ol' US of A. I honestly expected there to be a good bit of culture shock coming back home after my longest ever absence. The biggest problem I had was portion management. American restaurants are psychopathically overserving us. Why don't we just pay a little less, get a little less food and keep our waistlines thinner and our wallets fatter? I don't know, i guess there's always going to be a thrill in a mountain of food. The thousand calorie rollercoaster eating binge. Not only were restaurants troublesome, but the glorious home cooked food available at my fingertips every second of every day was sincerely heart stopping. I put on a couple extra kilos just for good measure at every house i visited.
Now, back in the land of no insulation and no snowplows, I'm going to find it hard to stop thinking about the life that could be, lounging around the US.

Oh yeah, if anyone out there across the ether finds a set of keys, 1 house, 2 bike lock; please let me know. You see, I somehow misplaced them in all the festivities. They're either at Ben and Marye's house, Emi and Tim's apartment, or someplace else in the Midwest. The last time I remember them was at Ben and Marye's house, but I'm pretty sure they made it past there. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment