Friday, January 17, 2014

Motorvational speaker

So, perhaps I have given my cho co- workers too much info on Jennifer's dissertation status over the past few months. Earlier this week she made brownies in an attempt to stave off working on her dreaded paper. My colleague Kristin had some choice words for jennifer when I offered her some of the spoils. The post-it note was a nice pep talk to encourage her onward. What she really said was something like, "These are delicious, but why dissent she knock it off and do the fucking dissertation?"

The brownies were a hit with everyone but Jennifer who found them inadequate, too cake-like and far from the idealized brownie in her head.  I reminded her that the best is often the enemy of the good. Advice that applies to baked goods and scholarly writing alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment