Sunday, November 12, 2017

Miami is weird

I'm in Miami Beach for a NABSA board retreat this week and Jennifer came down with me a day early to take in the sights and check out the richest city in the country.  One of the other board members runs CitiBike Miami, and also has some fairly deep connections with the hospitality industry here. We are getting, what I can only assume must be, a steep discount to stay at the Mondrian South Beach.  It's kind of insane here.  Like $42 brunch buffet, yoga-class-bikini-babe insane. That and the air has been pumped full of some sort of weird perfume that smells a bit like powder-puff and a bit like gauche aspiration.

Our room overlooks th street, but you can also see the Atlantic as well as Biscayne Bay.  It is bigger than our first apartment together in Philly. Also it has a giant orange mirror on the wall, just because.


We spent the morning exploring Miami Beach a bit, then rode over the Venetian Causeway to Miami proper to check out the Wynnewood area.  The whole city is chock full of touristy shit and people wearing a lot less clothing than is the custom where I come from.  I would need to really hit the gym hard, and get a lot more regular grooming regimin if I were to move here.  Fortunately, that is unlikely to happen. Miami; probably not the place for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment